Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Evolution of a Lemon

I have been having a lot of fun entering Spoonflower's weekly contests.  This week the theme is "Citrus Fruits".  I love to see how a few hundred designers will take the same theme and everyone will approach it in a different, unique way.  Here is how my idea for citrus fruits evolved...

I started with a very simple sketch.  I envisioned half circles in a row, slightly tilted.  I was not sure if they would be lemons, limes, oranges, or a combination of all three.

 I took a few dozen photos of a lemon, lime and orange.  Here is just one of the many.

Then, while I was on Pinterest, someone was pinning hundreds of images of Morocco and quite a few were from the Majorelle Gardens in Marrakesh.  There were so many photos of the AMAZING cobalt blue that apparently is everywhere (I have never been).  One photo , taken by Neal J. Wilson, screamed out to me as if the design gods were trying to tell me something...


"JILL, PAINT LEMONS ON A COBALT BACKGROUND!"  I could not block out the screaming so I listened, and painted...

Then...  I decided that I should make the citrus more simplified, not so realistic.  I scanned in my painting and simplified it in Illustrator.  After getting the layout and repeat the way I liked, I did what I love...  I tried it out in different colorways.

This is the final design named "Summer Citrus" and the colorway that I picked to enter the contest...

As you can see, I abandoned the lemon and cobalt in favor of oranges and pink grapefruit!  Sometimes you need to follow your heart and take a different path.  I think it's funny that it turned out to be a very simple design that started with a very simple sketch but somewhere in the middle I made it a bit more complicated.  That is typically how my brain works.  I'm very aware of the principle that the shortest distance between point A and B is a straight line but sometimes I take the scenic route.

This design and 3 other colorways (including a lemon and cobalt) are available at my Spoonflower shop.

I liked the design so much that I've uploaded it onto my Society6 shop too.



No comments :

Post a Comment