Sunday, October 20, 2013

Make Art That Sells- Week 2- Home Decor

This week we were designing a set of plates for a company like Crate & Barrel or Anthropologie.  The theme for the plates was bromeliads.  Bromeliads are tropical flowers that come in all kinds of interesting shapes and colors.  I wish that I could say that this week was an easier week than last but because of a flaw in my personality I took an almost identical path.
Monday: Happily sketching my bromeliads.
Tuesday: Still feeling confident.
Wednesday: I've got this one!  REALLY clear vision of how I want my plates to look.
Thursday: What happened overnight?  I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction.
Friday: Ugh!  Seriously, why does the self doubt pour in on Friday?  I start to abandon my original idea and start trying new things.  At this point I've designed dozens of plates.  Seriously, at least 30!  I have some that are super contemporary but I'm feeling like they are not "me".  I send some off to my trusty sister for feed back and she reels me in and makes me focus on my original idea.  (There is a MATS Facebook group that I could be tapping into for feedback but I haven't tried that yet... Maybe next week?)
Saturday: First thing in the morning I finish my plates!  Yay!  The weekend is beautiful and I have the time to get out and enjoy it!

The difference this week is that I actually kind of like my work!  I really wanted to loosen up my painting style this week but old habits are hard to break.  It's a goal of mine though so I'll keep trying!  (Maybe some painting classes after MATS.)   I still plan to rework last weeks fabric design but these plates are staying as is.

Again, I feel like a learned a lot this week from Lilla and friends.  The biggest thing that hit home with me this week was Lilla's advice on designing.   She recommends not jumping right into an assignment.  We are supposed to play first.  She gives us a mini exercise to get us warmed up and I think it really helps.  It also helps to have a ritual before you start to work.  It helps to clear the mind.  For me, I start each Monday cleaning out my workspace from last weeks craziness.   I always get a cup of tea or coffee and I put my music on.   Fresh start.

I also have to mention that I'm taking this class with some seriously talented people and it's so much fun to see what everyone comes up with.  Saturday and Sunday is when the finished designs start to get uploaded and I find that I have no will power to keep from constantly checking in to see all of the finished designs.  It's like opening a bunch of presents.

Week 3 we are working on children's picture books. This is the one out of the 5 markets that scares me a bit.  Maybe it will be good for me.  I'm looking forward to it.  Can't wait to get our "mini" tomorrow. 

No comments :

Post a Comment