Sunday, October 13, 2013

Make Art that Sells- Week 1- Bolt Fabric

Wow!  What a week.

Monday:
Lilla gave us a "mini assignment " to draw berries (any kind) and vintage casserole dishes.  Fun!

Tuesday:
Keep drawing.  Still fun!

Wednesday:
An assignment was given to create a fabric design featuring... you guessed it... vintage casserole dishes and berries.  Yay!  Still having fun.  I really like my idea and I'm so excited to get started.

Thursday:
Still happily painting all of the elements for my design. Happy, Happy, Happy!!!

Friday:
UGH!  I'm really worried that I'm not going to finish by the deadline!  I start scanning in the paintings that I've completed and I'm not liking how the design is turning out.   Really not liking it.  I start to panic and I want to give up!  I think way, way back to when my college guidance counselor asked me what I liked to play with when I was a kid.  I answered Legos and puzzles.  Why didn't I become an architect?  Why did I choose textile design? Good thing it's time to pick up my daughter from school.  It forces me to walk away.  Later that night, when I start working again, I put on the "serious" playlist to get me motivated to keep going.  This is the music that can keep you from jumping off a cliff...

"Don't give up" by Peter Gabriel
"Keep your head up" by Ben Howard
"Fight Outta You"  by Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals

Music is amazing!  OK, I won't give up!  I pull myself together and remember that I'm not doing this for a grade, I'm doing this for myself!  It's all a learning process and I learned a lot this week from all of Lilla's insight and analysis, from interviews with people in the industry, and from my own self therapy.  One of my favorite things that Lilla said this week was that talent is not finite!  Thank god! Practice, practice, practice.  That's what I tell my daughter all of the time.  She is a lot like me in that we give up REALLY easily.  I need to take my own advice!

Saturday:
I complete my design!  Yay!!
This is what my work space looks like right now...


Here is my finished design.  I was inspired by the winterberry growing outside my window and I thought that I would do a Christmas theme.  The color inspiration came from a vintage Christmas card that was pink, green, yellow and grey.  I do wish that I had more time to work on it.  When MATS is over I think I'll revisit it.
So, I'm now going to clean up the mess behind me and get ready for Week 2  and...  I can't wait!



No comments :

Post a Comment