Wednesday, April 30, 2014

MATS and Spoonflower!

I just realized that I never posted my design for the current Spoonflower contest!  Here is my entry for "Floral Coloring Book Wallpaper".  Voting ends today!  Check out the designs here.
http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/3059660
It's been a crazy week here but I'm happy to say that I've been able to complete my MATS assignment and keep up with the Spoonflower contests.  A bigger accomplishment for me is that I'm pretty happy with my finished designs too.  Life is good!

Last week, our MATS assignment was doing editorial work.  We needed to illustrate our home town.  It turned out to be a really difficult assignment for me and not for the reasons that I would have guessed.  I have a fear of drawing people and usually editorial work includes figure drawing.  I know that this fear could be easily remedied by just drawing people more!  It's part of that 10,000 hours thing... the more time you put into something the better you get at it.  If I had the choice, I would just paint flowers all day but because I am trying to broaden my horizons I am going to add figure drawing to my "to do more often" list.  I kind of like the way my surfer girl turned out.  (I know that she is a bit thin but that's because she forgets to eat lunch when she is out surfing all day.)  The difficulty for me with this assignment was with the composition and layout.  I really struggled with what icons to include and what to leave out.   Overall, it was fun to do and it's like nothing that I've ever done before.  One of the many reasons why I have loved taking this class is because I'm being forced to step out of my comfort zone.  That's a good thing.

Here is my map from MATS Week 4 Editorial.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93559750@N07/14030237572/
(I actually live in South Kingstown but I thought that images from Narragansett would be easier for me to work with.)

I'm busy working on our final assignment for MATS.  "Party Paper" is the market.  I can't believe how fast 5 weeks can go by!!

No comments :

Post a Comment