Monday, May 26, 2014

MATS Bootcamp - May

This month we had an editorial assignment.  Lilla gave us an article on meditation and we needed to create an illustration for it to fit on one page of a magazine.

The article was titled "How to meditate: A Primer for People Who Don't Like to Meditate"  The author does not like to mediate because basically, it's really difficult to close your mind to all of the chaos that surrounds us.  She discusses the benefits of meditation and how powerful it can be and she challenges herself to meditate more often and encourages the reader to give it a try.

I thought that I would focus on the benefits of mediation rather than the fact that it's actually very difficult to do.  The first line of the article read "Take a deep breath and close your eyes".  I went with that.

I can tell you that this is the third time that I have painted a person since figure drawing class in college way back when...  All three times have been because of Lilla too!  I have always been so afraid of drawing people.  I could pick apart the things about this girl that are not quite right... but I will not.  I'm inspired to keep figure drawing!  This assignment also made me realize that I really need to pay more attention to editorial work.  I will definitely keep my eyes open more!  I'm usually focused on putting flowers into a repeat pattern so I'm a bit rusty when it comes to layout and composition, fonts and hand lettering.  I know that there is tremendous room for me to improve in those areas and even so... I'm pretty happy with how it came out!  I'm also happy that I was able to complete the assignment.  I seriously goofed off last week playing in the sunshine and enjoying the amazing weather that we have been having. 

I can't wait to see what everyone created.  The online gallery should be up on Tuesday.  There is sure to be some stunning work from everyone.  I'll come back and post a link.

I'm back!
Here is the link.  Bootcamp May 2014 Gallery
There are a few hundred really fantastic illustrations!  I'm always so impressed with the diversity of styles and the creativity is always so inspiring.  Please take some time and have a look through all of them!  Wow!



No comments :

Post a Comment