Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Spoonflower and Robert Kaufman

An exciting contest is underway at Spoonflower!

Spoonflower is teaming up with Robert Kaufman Fabrics to sponsor a fantastic opportunity for 8 designers.  This yearly contest is named Fabric8 and the theme for this year is "Cosmic Voyage".  The difference with this contest and the usual weekly contest is that...  "Fabric8 is an annual contest to discover eight bold and modern fabric collections from new and emerging designers.  The winner of the contest will be offered a contract to design a fabric collection for Robert Kaufman Fabrics, a $1000 advance against royalties, and a Wacom professional digital drawing tablet.  Each of the eight finalists will receive $150 in Spoonflower credit."

How great is that!!??

Spoonflower and Robert Kaufman will first pick 100 designs out of all of the entries and announce the semifinalists on June 11th.

Those lucky 100 designs will be posted for public voting and 8 finalists will be announced June 19th.

The 8 finalists will then need to create 3 coordinating fabrics to make a cohesive collection.  Those 8 collections will then be posted for public voting and one fortunate winner will be announced July 24th!

Exciting!  I had to enter this one.  I think that it is a wonderful opportunity from Robert Kaufman.  They receive dozens of requests every week from designers that hope to have a fabric contract with them.  I have been wanting to send them my deigns for a while now but I get very intimidated knowing the competition that is out there.  I would LOVE to make the first cut.  After that, it will be a long shot to make the top 8!  There are a lot of great designs being submitted.  Fingers crossed!

Here is my silly design called "Alien Incubators".  When I first started to think about what to create I immediately thought of "The Jetsons" cartoon that I loved to watch when I was a child.  I originally planned to make floating cities inside these domes.  I was looking at architecture from Le Corbusier for inspiration and was having fun pretending to be an architect.  Then, I became frustrated with my design and the direction that it was going and I started to draw flowers (imagine that!).  I started to create little greenhouses under my domes until the thought hit me that the concept wasn't related to space enough.  I felt like I was creating another terrarium design so I then added little alien gardeners.  The aliens started to take on a life of their own and that's when I decided on alien incubators.  It all comes together if you stick with it long enough!  

I'm pretty attached to these little guys from another galaxy.  I'm picturing this design... and the coordinates that are still in my head... as being great for quilts, pillows, curtains, pajamas, backpacks, anything!  

Wish me luck!
Jill



http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/3192652

No comments :

Post a Comment